California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB)

If you or a member of your family sustained injury as a direct result of a crime, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance through the California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCB).

Under the California law (Government Code Sections 13959-13969.3), qualifying victims of crime may receive financial assistance for losses resulting from a crime when they cannot be reimbursed by other sources.

Losses covered under CalVCB

  • Medical/Dental
  • Mental Health Counseling
  • Wage/Income
  • Financial Support
  • Emergency Funeral/Burial
  • Job Retraining
  • Emergency Relocation
  • Crime Scene Clean Up
  • Home Security
  • Home or Vehicle Modifications for Disabled Crime Victims
  • Medically necessary equipment including wheelchairs, walkers, eye glasses, hearing aids and prosthetic devices.

Losses NOT covered under CalVCB

  • Personal property losses, including cash
  • Pain and suffering

Though not covered under the CalVCB program, these losses may be recoverable through court – ordered restitution during the defendant’s sentencing or a civil lawsuit.

Who is eligible?

  • Victims of crime who have been injured or threatened with injury
  • Anyone legally dependent upon the victim for support
  • Anyone who was present during the crime and who has a close relationship with the victim
  • Anyone who must receive psychological treatment as a result of the crime or who should be included in the psychological treatment of the victim
  • Anyone who takes legal responsibility and/or pays for a victim’s medical or burial expenses

To Qualify

  • The crime must be reported to law enforcement
  • The victim must cooperate in the investigation and prosecution of any known suspects
  • The victim must not have contributed to the events which lead up to the crime
  • Filing deadline is seven years from the date of the crime or incident

How to file an application

Tips that will help when you apply

  • Include copies of reports, bills or receipts with your application to help speed up the review
  • Send your bills to your insurance company, worker’s compensation carrier, or Medi-Cal right away. We work with them to help pay your bills

To apply for crime victim compensation for out of pocket expenses, medical expenses, funeral/burial expenses, emergency relocation, or wage loss due to the crime, please complete the Victims of Crime Application form at the above link. You can file the application by mailing it to us or bringing in the application to our office.

We are located at:
1401 Lakeside Drive, Suite 802
Oakland, CA 94612,
Attention: Claims Unit.

Contact information:
Phone: (510) 272-5044

“You saved my life by helping me relocate. My kid’s father was a threat to our lives.

“I had wounds that were visible, I couldn’t complete daily tasks, my children were scared all the time and we were being abused by him mentally and physically. I had tried so hard to get away from him but he kept stalking me and breaking into my house or wherever we were hiding. I think he must’ve had some help in finding us.

“I am so thankful to you for helping me with the paperwork, speaking to the landlord and paying this claim so quickly. Your words of encouragement helped me when I was ready to just give up. This is the first time me and my kids have felt safe. Thank you.”

— an Alameda County Victim of Crime