DA Nancy O’Malley Announces One Goh Guilty in Oikos University Shooting

OAKLAND, CA – Alameda County District Attorney Nancy E. O’Malley announced May 2, 2017, that One Goh, the defendant in the 2012 Oikos University mass shooting, has entered a plea of no contest and was found guilty, as charged, of seven counts of murder with special circumstances and three counts of attempted premeditated murder. He also admitted as true all alleged enhancements.


On July 14, 2017, Defendant One L. Goh was sentenced to seven consecutive terms of life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus a consecutive indeterminate term of 271 years to life.


One April 2, 2012, Defendant Goh armed himself with a .45 caliber firearm and three loaded magazines, and entered Oikos University in Oakland, CA, an institution where he had previously been enrolled as a student. Once inside, the defendant took the receptionist at gunpoint into his former classroom. Once in the classroom, he embarked upon a shooting rampage, killing seven individuals, and attempting to kill three more before fleeing from the school. He was arrested a short time later in the city of Alameda.

In the five years since the defendant committed these horrific crimes, the criminal case against him has remained at the forefront of the District Attorney’s work. A summary of the legal proceedings that have taken place since the charging of the case is as follows:

Shortly after the defendant was charged, on October 1, 2012, his defense counsel declared a doubt as to his mental competency to stand trial. On January 7, 2013, based on reports from two doctors, the court declared him mentally incompetent to stand trial and suspended all criminal proceedings. Between April 2013 and February 2015, doctors from Napa State Hospital, where Defendant Goh was housed, provided competency progress reports to the court. In each of these, the doctors opined that the defendant was not competent to stand trial.

Nearly three years after the shooting, in July of 2015, the Director of Napa State Hospital certified Defendant Goh as mentally competent. The defense challenged this finding, leading to a November 2015 competency trial in Alameda County Superior Court. During that trial, six doctors testified and the judge ruled that the defendant was not mentally competent to stand trial due to his mental illness.

On April 11, 2017, after reports from three doctors, a conservator certified that the defendant is competent to stand trial and criminal proceedings have been reinstated. While the mental health professionals have deemed him mentally competent to stand trial, Defendant Goh’s mental illness has always been, and remains, a consideration in these legal proceedings.

Through our Victim-Witness Assistance Division, as well as the attorneys handling the case and DA O’Malley, the District Attorney's Office has provided every possible service to the surviving victims and the families of those victims who were senselessly murdered to help them navigate this unimaginable tragedy and the legal process as it unfolded.

Before today’s hearing, the District Attorney’s Office met with and spoke at length with the family members of each homicide victim, as well as with each surviving victim, to discuss and explain the plea process as well as the agreed-upon sentence. The Office also communicated extensively with the law enforcement officers tasked with responding to and investigating the case.

The defendant’s mental illness has been at the forefront of the legal proceedings for the past five years. Taking into account loss of life, the violent actions of the defendant, as well as information regarding the defendant’s mental illness, we believe that the sentence is appropriate. Today’s resolution of the case brings certainty and finality to the families of the victims, the victims, and the first responders.

“The enormity and devastation of this mass shooting remains unprecedented in Alameda County,” states District Attorney Nancy O’Malley.

“With the conclusion of this case, we know that One Goh will never again be in the position to harm any member of our community.”

The case was prosecuted by DDA Stacie Pettigrew with assistance from DA Inspector Jim Rullamas and Victim-Witness Advocates Maria Suniga and Stephanie Lynch.

(Docket: #174636)

Posted on May 2, 2017