People v David Tarnue Mabullu

On February 1, 2017, Defendant David Tarnue Mabullu was convicted of two counts of forcible rape, dissuading a witness by force or threat, and domestic violence battery.

The victim, Jane Doe, met Defendant Mabullu when she started working at a fast food restaurant in 2012. They began a dating relationship that continued until May 2016, and at one point were engaged to be married. Through much of the relationship, defendant Mabullu had been verbally and physically abusive towards the victim, but she never reported any of the abuse until June 27, 2016.

On the evening of June 26, 2016, at around 10:30 pm, Defendant Mabullu called the victim and demanded that she have sex with him. She refused. An argument ensued, leading the victim to hang up and turn her phone off. Jane Doe clocked out of work at around 11:30 pm and walked toward her car in the parking lot. Defendant Mabullu had been waiting for her in the car park in his mother’s vehicle and confronted Jane Doe. He grabbed a drink she had in her hand and dumped it on her while cursing at her. He then took her personal belongings and ordered her into his mother's vehicle. Defendant Mabullu hit Jane Doe in the face and body as he drove her to his family home in Oakland.

Once at his house, Jane Doe was taken to his room. Defendant Mabullu threatened the victim by tapping a metal security guard baton (or 'asp') on her shoulder and counting down while he ordered her to undress. After the victim was undressed, defendant forced her to the ground. Jane Doe, who was considerably smaller than Defendant Mabullu, struggled but was overpowered. Defendant Mabullu then raped her. After Defendant Mabullu raped her, she argued with Defendant Mabullu and struggled to get back her clothes. He refused to give her clothes back and raped her again.

Defendant Mabullu held Jane Doe in his room, naked, until early the next morning around 6am when he gave her back her clothes, car keys, cell phone. She walked to a fast food restaurant and called her mother to pick her up. Jane Doe eventually disclosed the kidnap and sexual assault to her mother who insisted she call authorities. She underwent a SART exam at Highland Hospital to preserve evidence of her trauma.

After Jane Doe reported the events to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, Defendant Mabullu continued to contact her to demand she drop the charges, leaving numerous threatening text and voicemail messages. On June 30th, 2016, Defendant Mabullu contacted her in person and persuaded her to drop the charges. She reluctantly called ACSO Detective Jennifer Sells and asked not to pursue the case further. The detective believed she was acting oddly and followed up, eventually discovering Jane Doe was being threatened and dissuaded by Defendant Mabullu not to go forward with the case.

Defendant David Tarnue Mabullu is scheduled to be sentenced on March 3, 2017 in Department 513.

The case was prosecuted by DDA Jason Sjoberg with assistance from DA Inspector Kevin Wiley and Victim-Witness Advocates Elena Langer and Jenifer Mello.

Posted on Feb 7, 2017